1. Donate to a local cause
Most of us are familiar with a nonprofit or two that does work that's in line with our values. But if no specific organization comes to mind, search the database of over 200 local nonprofit organizations. Easily locate nonprofits in your neighborhood or by a cause you are passionate about. You can donate directly to the cause of your choosing right on the website.
2. Volunteer your time and talents to a local cause
Rolling your sleeves up can be a particularly fulfilling way to give back so the Foundation recently partnered with VOLUNTEER Hampton Roads to offer the additional option of donating your time and talents on the website. There are quick links to volunteer opportunities for the holidays or year-round, for residents 12 years and older. Volunteers can also complete a profile to match their talents to an organization in need of specific skills or search for volunteer opportunities close to home or by cause.
3. Start a FUNdraiser Campaign for a local cause
If you have a social media account, one great way to elevate your efforts on Giving Tuesday is to start a fundraiser for your favorite nonprofit. You can create a fundraiser campaign quickly and easily on the website and be provided a unique URL to share with your friends and family on social media or electronically. The website allows fundraisers to set a goal for their cause and track donations as they are received.
4. Participate in the #pcfuglysweater challenge
If you're not financially able to give, help your favorite nonprofit WIN a $757 CASH GRANT by participating in the Ugly Sweater Challenge. PCF is challenging Hampton Roads residents to put on their ugly Christmas sweaters in honor of our local nonprofits for the holidays. To participate:
1. Post* picture/video with ugly sweater(s)
2. Tag your favorite nonprofit and include #pcfuglysweater & #givelocal757
3. Challenge 3 friends to do the same
4. Make "post" public
One #givelocal757 cause will be randomly selected from all those tagged through December 20, 2018 to receive a $757 cash grant from the Peninsula Community Foundation. The more tags, the more chances your favorite nonprofit has of winning. The winning nonprofit will be announced on National Ugly Sweater Day, Friday, Dec. 21, 2018 at noon!
5. Start a charitable giving habit
#GivingTuesday is a great way to collectively affect positive change. But, in a world that is struggling in so many ways, it’s good to remember to give back whenever possible — not just the Tuesday after Thanksgiving. Long after the rush of year-end appeals have been recycled and decorations are stored away, needs in our community remains. There are several ways you can give locally year-round, here are 3 options:
- Schedule a recurring donation on givelocal757.org to your favorite cause(s).
- Become a member of the only women's giving circle on the Peninsula, Impact 100. These women are making a huge collective impact by raising $100,000 each year to distribute to 2 worthy Peninsula organizations at their annual Big Give event held in September. To date, they have distributed more than $300,000 to several Peninsula causes.
- Open a donor advised fund. Because of the new tax laws DAFs, as they are known, are growing in popularity for individuals who want flexibility, personalization and ease in their giving. These can be created at PCF where donors receive an immediate tax deduction and expert local philanthropic advice to help make their choices in giving impact the community of they envision.
Happy Holidays and Happy Giving!