jean m. yokum scholarship
The Jean M. Yokum Scholarship is sponsored by Langley Federal Credit Union, where Mrs. Yokum started as a part-time teller at the age of 22. In 1979, she was selected as President and CEO, eventually retiring after nearly 59 years of service. Mrs. Yokum was a true testament to hard work and dedication. This scholarship is for graduating seniors who emulate the work ethic and dedication of Mrs. Yokum, and have a savings account at Langley and/or are a member of Langley’s Constellation Club. The club is designed for children through the age of 18 and provides tools for parents to teach their children the importance of financial responsibility.
The Jean M. Yokum College Scholarships are awarded to successful applicants who have a savings account at Langley and/or are a member of Langley’s Constellation Club. Each year in May, six deserving college-bound members are awarded a $5,000 scholarship. Scholarships are awarded based on need, academic performance, community involvement and a personal essay.
- The student must graduate from a high school in Hampton Roads, in June 2022 and will be attending an accredited community college or university.
- The student must be graduating with a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher.
- The student must be enrolled taking a minimum of 12 credit hours per semester.
- In addition to the academics, student’s extra-curricular activities, community service, work experience and financial need will factor into the review process.
- Langley staff and immediate family of Langley staff are not eligible to apply.
- Deadline to apply is April 3, 2023.
For more information about establishing a fund, please contact Michael Monteith, Email/757.327.0862