The Peninsula Community Foundation manages 20 scholarship funds which provide opportunities for deserving students to pursue a college education. Scholarships also, of course, are legacies that honor and memorialize those who came before, forever. For example, Carolyn Lackey, a Fort Monroe librarian for over 40 years, established a scholarship so that any Peninsula student would be able to go to college.
Scholarships can be established by individuals, families, organizations and companies. Donors may also define the eligibility guidelines for candidate selection or designate a specific field, study or college to be attended. Fund Agreements for scholarship awards are customized to each donor's wishes.
For more information about establishing a fund, please contact Michael Monteith, Email/757.327.0862
Meet the Stevens
A Peninsula couple who have created a scholarship in honor of their son James to assist students with special needs. This inspiring video tells you why they established the fund and why individuals, families, and corporations may want to consider doing the same.
- Apprentice School Foundation - Danny Brookman Scholarship (Individuals with offer and start date to the Apprentice School of Newport News Shipbuilding)
- Thomas W. Doggins Memorial Scholarship (Tabb High School)
- Ferguson College Scholarship (Children of Ferguson Associates)
- Ferguson Trade School Scholarship (Children of Ferguson Associates)
- Joyce T. Gaines Scholarship (A high school senior from Tabb or Poquoson)
- Arthur Lee Galloway, Jr. Memorial Scholarship (York High School)
- Henry Jordan Memorial Scholarship (Warwick High School)
- Kellam, Weaver-Fagan & Hastee Educational Scholarship (Bethel, Hampton, Kecoughtan, Phoebus)
- Susan and Edward Kritzman Scholarship (College or technical school scholarships to single parents or to couples with children living in the home that are considered lower income.)
- Langley Teacher Grant (Hampton Roads educators teaching elementary, middle, and high school students)
- Joseph H. Levi Memorial Scholarship (Tabb High School)
- Trevor J. McLaughlin Memorial Scholarship (Bruton High School)
- Peninsula Scholarship (Hampton, Newport News, Poquoson, York County, Williamsburg, James City County schools)
- Julie M. Sager Memorial Scholarship (Any senior Tabb, York, Bruton, and Grafton High School students pursuing a career in the field of education)
- James M. Stevens Memorial Scholarship (Any senior with an Individualized Education Plan (IEP) Hampton, Poquoson, or York County public schools)
- Kenneth Leary Taylor Scholarship Fund (High school graduate from the Virginia Peninsula)
- Kenneth Leary Taylor Teacher Grant (For teachers of science - excluding Computer Science - teaching students elementary-high school, on the Virginia Peninsula.
- Michael J. Tylavsky, Jr. Memorial Scholarship (Bruton High School, Grafton High School, Tabb High School, York High School, York River Academy)
- Jean M. Yokum Scholarship (Graduate from a high school in Hampton Roads and will be attending an accredited community college or university.)
- Yorktown FC Soccer Scholarship (A high school senior from York County or the City of Newport News who combines a passions for soccer with volunteering in the community.)